Long awaited accessibility improvements to restrooms, parking areas, scenic overlooks, bridges, trail surfaces and routes are complete
California State Parks has completed a $1.3 million accessibility improvement project at Montana de Oro State Park. California State Parks began accessibility work on the Bluff Trail in Montana de Oro State Park last year. The project is complete ahead of schedule and visitors to Montana de Oro State Park are enjoying the even trail surface, scenic overlooks and accessibility features. State Park docents have conducted accessible guided hikes on the trail. The project improved access for people with disabilities and included:
- Replacing the 2 restrooms at the Coon Creek parking lot and the Bluff Trail Service Road with new ADA compliant restroom facilities ;
- Re-contouring the trail surface to: reduce erosion impacts, restore natural hydrology and reduce water run-off, and allow for mobility impaired access along the full length of the Bluff Trail;
- Installing accessible parking spaces at the north trail head parking area and the south trail head parking lot at Coon Creek;
- Replacing the old pedestrian bridge at Corallina Cove and adding a new bridge north of Coon Creek ;
- Improving scenic overlooks by installing new decking , surfaces , railings, and interpretive panels;
- Adding a new accessible picnic area, bench, and table;
- Re-routing sections of trail to avoid future bluff retreat, close unsustainable and severely eroded alignments, and to protect the Coon Creek water shed and other resources .
As the Thanksgiving Holiday approaches, park visitors are encouraged to experience and enjoy the new Bluff Trail with friends and family. For camping reservations call 800-444-7275 or go to www.reserveamerica.com.
California State Parks Mission
To provide for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high-quality outdoor recreation. For more information, visit: www .parks .ca.qov.